This week’s Farm Share will most likely include:
Salad Mix, Tomatoes, Sweet peppers, Kale, Head of Lettuce, Hearty Greens Mix, Radishes, Beets (Church Hill) -OR- Cucumbers (On Farm), and Garlic, plus optional Jalapenos.
Recipe Suggestions: see these and others cataloged on our Recipe Page
We are continually inspired by the recipes and food ideas in the Bon Appetit magazine. Accordingly, today’s recipe suggestions are sourced from BA:
– Falafel-spiced Tomatoes on Flatbread.
– If the above recipe is too complicated for your life, use your tomatoes (and sweet peppers) in a simple and amazing dish like this Tomato Relish. We eat this dish multiple times per week, using our sweet peppers instead of the serrano peppers it calls for. All four of our children love, love, love this dish. (And it works for any meal of the day!) Feel free to sub out ingredients: We prefer garlic in it instead of onion. We often omit the parsley and instead use any other herb, or just savor the garlic flavor without an herb addition.
– Sichuan-Style Chicken with Rice Noodles is a great way to enjoy any type of kale, or use our Hearty Greens Mix, and you can sub any protein source of your choice, of course. This style of meal preparation is a great one to be familiar with. It is essentially seasoned protein + carbohydrate [noodles] + greens with a delicious sauce. It calls for a specialty seasoning (furikake) which we have not used. Instead, we substitute a combination of kelp, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. This adaptability makes it easier to prepare and enjoy a lot of vegetables.
– Head Lettuce: We love head lettuce because of it’s crunchy ribs and the big sweet leaves that work like boats for so many delicious toppings. They hold up well for a Classic Caesar Salad, Seared Steak Lettuce Cups, a Club Salad, or Greens with Horseradish-Creme Fraiche Dressing. Use any protein you prefer in any of these recipes!
– Sauteed Greens with Olives is an excellent way to enjoy any kale (or if you have collards left from last week) and also lettuce. (Trust Bon Appetit!)
– Radishes are back! Oh how we love them. If you can resist just slicing them in half, dipping them in salt, and eating them straight, we suggest you highlight their mild spice by making a Radish Salsa such as in this recipe for Steak Tacos with Cilantro-Radish Salsa. If you want to tame the spice, make Radish Raita, a sauce with yogurt and spices, to enjoy on any protein (or salad!).
– Beets have also made their fall debut this week, with wonderful greens on top. We swoon. This recipe for Roasted Beets makes use of creme fraiche and yogurt, plus a simple bit of oregano or marjoram, to highlight the beet flavor while enjoying a bit of smooth dairy. We also love beets roasted simply with olive oil and salt and pepper, then topped with goat cheese. This recipe for Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese also calls for fresh mint vinaigrette.
Available for Market Share CSA members to choose from this week:
Arugula, Chard, Collards, Eggplant, Garlic, Green Beans, Kale, Lettuce Heads, Lettuce Mix, Okra, Peppers, Salad Mix, Summer Squash (yellow and zucchini), Tomatoes…and Naturally Leavened, Organic Multigrain Bread.
2015 Market Share CSA Members: Reserve your selection online to pick up on Wednesday, September 16 at our farm, Good Health Herbs (New Location! Pick up hours are from 4:00 – 6:00), or in Church Hill.
Janet, Dan, and the rest of the Broadfork crew
(Want to learn more about us? Visit us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.)